Housing Aid for Older People grant

The Department of Housing in ROI has changed the rules on the heating grant for older people (and those experiencing hardship)…

Repro Free: Thursday 18th December 2014. Picture Jason Clarke Photography.

Previously you could only apply for a whole new heating system where you didn’t already have any heating. Now the rules permit repairs to an existing heating system. For example, if the oil boiler is beyond economic repair (e.g. baffles burnt out or the heat exchanger chamber/jacket is leaking water), you can get a replacement boiler. Or if the tank is split, damaged or otherwise unsafe, you can get a replacement bunded tank.

It is means tested and you have to be 66 years of age or older. The application form is available from www.housing.gov.ie. Most councils are specifying that an OFTEC contractor must be used and will want to see a copy of the installation and commissioning certificate and/or boiler passport.

David Blevings, OFTEC Ireland Manager on
T: +44 (0)28 9186 2916

Sean McBride, Ireland Representative on
T: +44 (0)7540 502 304 (NI) or
+353 (0)87 241 7041 (RoI)